Na-ked [ney-kid]

1. plain; simple; unadorned: the naked realities of the matter.
2. not accompanied or supplemented by anything else: a naked outline of the facts.
3. exposed to view or plainly revealed
4. plain-spoken; blunt: the naked truth.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

UUuuuuuuhhhmmmmmm......

So, I've noticed lately that since I've started letting my atheism show, people are suddenly asking questions. The most obvious question being, "Why are you, or why did you become an atheist? And why don't you believe in God?". My standard answer has continued to be something to the effect of "The questions that I have been asking in church since I was a child have never been adequately answered for me, and the Bible is full of absurdities, inconsistencies, and atrocities" followed by a very simple "and there is no proof of God". This is usually a satisfactory answer for most. However, to those of you who decide to put me on the spot and probe deeper...you probably received the "uuuhhhh" response. What I've realized is that I'm quite well-spoken and well-informed when I am putting things in writing, but rarely have a cohesive, intelligent answer prepared for those on-the-fly conversations. There are so many hundreds of individual reasons that add up to my atheism, but to sit down and list these to someone would be near impossible (which is mainly why I started this blog...to start sharing those hundreds of ideas/reasons with you). So, I am making it my mission to narrow down my atheism to a few key points that I am ready to share with those who are interested. I will follow up with another post, telling you what I've come up with, if anything. Fellow atheists, feel free to share your "atheist statement" below, and Christians, feel free to leave me questions that you would ask an atheist in such a conversation.

1 comment:

  1. Currently, my focus is going to be on the 3 areas that I feel are the central focus of Christianity (but could also be applied to most other religions with minor adjustments).

    God, Prayer, and The Bible.

    Discuss amongst yourselves....

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments.